Welcome!

Dogsitting, Adventures of Hershey the cat, DIY projects, And always Halloween planning!

Oct 11, 2011

It's HALLOWEEN...Time for COSTUMES!

So this year I have been making headway on my trunk or treat display, last year was the first time I did it and it was a thrown together--although cool (thanks Dad for Syd the spider, he's always a hit!)

This year, as my previous post (long ago) shows, I'm busy making props. On Friday, we had our monthly Bunco party with the girls. This time at Jami's house. And we got to dress up for halloween! I'm totally in!

Since the trunk or treat is all about VULTURES this year, I decided to make myself as Vulturey as possible. So here's my Kristi is a Vulture Maven (Maven means self taught know-it-all about whatever). :) Yes, I looked it up!

OH--and I made Aunt Marty Dip but cut my bread using a bat cookie cutter--we don't have rye bread rounds in this town!


Here's how I did it:
JcPenney had a black 3/4 sleeve Tshirt for $5.20, so I bought it! I never wear black, as it makes me look dead--no really...corpse like. But it's halloween and that can only HELP.

I ordered a strip of rooster feathers 'strung', and a trip to Joann's with coupons got me some headband sparkle embellishments, shoulder pads, sculpey modeling clay, various trims of featherlike and torn meat looking variety, and some white feathery small boas.

For the shirt, I layered 3 levels of trim around the neck, black ribbons for a feathery look, Red stringy wild stuff for the carrion look, and a glued on small feathery boa of white.

Then I made a pin for the front of the shirt with a black sequin flower shape from Joanns, some Rooster feathers glued to the back, and a small bit of red feathers to offset all the black, then a Sculpey bird skull glued to the top. Using safety pins, attached it to the front of the shirt. (This could also serve as a male turkey's beard, should I want to someday become a turkey...;) )


Using the shoulder pads as bases, I glued and layered the strung feathers for Eppaulettes on my shoulders, pinned them in place with safety pins...and Voila!


Sculpey bird skulls: I actually looked this up online--Heck I don't know what a bird skull looks like! People put alot of detail into them..I just made a ball, pulled a beak out of one side, stuck a bamboo kabob skewer thru the beak for nostrils, and through the back to make a place to string it with. Then used my fingers and a rounded pencil end to push in the eye sockets. Easy. I made about 10 of them...then baked the sculpey at 200F for 30 minutes to make it hard.

*Note, the stuff is toxic, i opened the house up while it was baking. And then did my typical: Stare wide-eyed at the opening oven door.. while inhaling deeply the super heated air. Usually, it smells like brownies. But this time--well I may have shortened my life a few years. *ICK* I gave myself a headache and set down awhile. ;)

I made a piece for my skirt, found some red and black shredded material at Joann's, just cut on the diagonal and sewed to a wide piece of trim for a pin on skirt topper. Wore a black old skirt I've had a long time...and red patent leather shoes.

Cindy and I had a great time...She went as a 1989 drunken homecoming queen...and played the part way too welL!

I also took a "date" to the Bunco night...it's Victor the Vulture...he's Vulture #1 in a series of "Car" vultures for trunk or treat!


I made him from a pattern online, and then used a 9' long stick Anya gathered for me at the beach to make the Vulture stand! Thank YOU ANYA!

The cat Loves it, he keeps running thru the house, and trying to run under the 3 legs --knocking it over in the process--he's not a little kitten anymore! :)




I did learn one thing--I look really bad in red and black, unless I cover all my skin around my eyes in RED..."Flambe" red loose eyeshadow badly spread around my face with a big brush...black eyeliner, white eyeliner, and black eyeshadow...wow...I should wear that more often! :)

Happy Halloween...More later!
KrisTiki

No comments:

Post a Comment