Welcome!

Dogsitting, Adventures of Hershey the cat, DIY projects, And always Halloween planning!

Mar 20, 2012

The lion foot sofa


 I've been plotting to recover this sofa, and replace my wearing out expensive leather sofa.  I can't believe it's only lasted 2 years!  Don't buy furniture at Ashley home furnishings! it falls apart!

I wanted a sofa that was sort of short (I'm only 5'4"), I could lay down and extend my legs, didn't look heavy, did look eccentric or different/old, had some air between the bottom and the floor--airvents and ability to stick a vacuum under it, and that would be easy to cover.

Bingo. Craigslist surprise, and inexpensive too!  THe lady did think it was late 1800's.  Somehow I think it's 1960's or something.  The wood is in too good a condition, the carving is too regular...and the style looks more 70's tacky to me.
It's very comfy, even with the bowed cushions.  The back sits too straight, but when I cut the back cushion off, I'll reassemble for toss pillows.  That should make it look softer, anyway.

Very square in back.
The lion/eagle foot
Then when I redo the seat cushions, I'll tighten up the springs, and make the cushion go from the front to the actual back (beyond where the cushion goes now).  That will make it deep enough to prop up on pillows, lay down and watch tv or cuddle up with the cat for a long tv watching nap.
Sofa overall, dirty beige velvet covering with attached back cusion.


Considering the wood color is a bit 'red', i'm very much considering painting it. Krylon makes a Nichol mettalic spray paint.  Wow...that sounds REALLY tacky, now that I'm reading it in words!  But it's a pretty color.

Very neutral, and could be sanded thru or antiqued to show the detail.


Front on, need to replace or repad the cushions. Will make the back loose cusions, to make it look softer and less square.



















































The blend between the upholstery and the Nichol paint would be nice and light.  then I could put my teal pillows against it!  And look! Basset hound pillow's match already.  Eddi would look REally good on the new upholstery!!!  Where is spring and the nice weather!!! I can't wait to get started!

            
New fabric laying against dog sofa fabric, neutral...nice and neutral
Has a square repeated pattern.  Any curvy pattern or texture does NOT look right against the squareness of the frame.  This also came in an apple green and navy blue--I almost opted for that.  But thought--no stay neutral, I can put bright pillows and blanket s on it.


This is the type of inexpensive fabric I got originally to cover, it might be the coordinating fabric, but looks better with a slight pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment