Welcome!

Dogsitting, Adventures of Hershey the cat, DIY projects, And always Halloween planning!

Aug 15, 2011

Armoire Part 1 Project Dreaming...

from Ikea, the fabric used to cover my bulletin board at the back of the armoire/craft cabinet

Planning...thank you Visio!

YEa yea yea, I'm an engineer. So my project needs a list of specs. And yes I have too much time on my hands! So I spent a few minutes and created a box drawing of a general armoire. I want one for craft supplies so they are all in one place, and I have somewhere to 'close up shop' if i want to hide the mess...Yes, mom, no mention that my mess usually leads in a trail around the house. :)

I know I want these things in my storage:
--Drawers for small component storage for sewing, photography, computer paper/photo paper, misc small hardware, and sewing/craft sundries.
--a place for my sewing machine in case
--a place for my serger and cover
--bulletin board across the back
--desk height shelf
--lighting inside
--peg board on the sides for scissors, rulers, and small baskets
--storage up top for scrapbook paper, photos/negatives, and some fabric but I doubt there will be room!

The armoire's I've been looking at have different types of doors on them, but all of them look like I can modify/add to them to use them for:
--magnetic boards for those Ikea clear magnetic cannisters I like so much
--2 or 3 arm type paper towel holders (ribbon and maybe even paper towels)
--I'd like to hang my iron inside the door so it's not visible.

And on the outside, the back will hide my quilt pad cutting boards (those olfa things) clothes drying racks, and iron board--ok this is too much without having 1' of space back there. So I'll modify my thoughts on that...
--Hang ironing board on one side (outside) of the armoire--will need to make a cute cover.
--hang my ladder on the other side from a hook.

Craigslist has tons of different armoire's on it. Now it's just a waiting game to see what is my price range and has some uniqueness to it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment